- Re-testing: Candidates are required to wait three months before taking the CanTEST Listening and Reading components again. The waiting period for the Writing and Speaking components is 6 full weeks. This policy applies to all CanTEST Test Centres.
- Registering for Writing Only: Candidates who are successful on the CanTEST Reading component but NOT successful on the Written test are permitted to register, after 6 weeks, for the "Writing Only" component, at the next scheduled test session.
- Success on Only One Component: Candidates who are NOT successful on the Listening and/or Reading components are required to take all three components (i.e., Listening, Reading and Writing) at the next test session that they are eligible to attend. See policy statement #1 above.
- Oral Interview: Candidates who are required to take the Oral Interview must register specifically for this component of CanTEST. Candidates who are NOT successful on the Oral Interview may register for this component at the next scheduled test session, provided it is at least 6 weeks after their previous test. Interviews are scheduled in the order in which the registration forms are received. Some candidates may be required to complete their Speaking test on the day following the written test.
- Score Reporting: All candidates are emailed an Unofficial Score Report within 10 business days of the test session. Official Score Reports are sent to one university or certifying institution. The test candidate must specify the receiving institution at the time of registration; requests received later are subject to a $15.00 fee. If candidates need scores sent to more than one institution, they must complete the Request for an Official CanTEST Score Report.
- Score Validity: CanTEST scores are valid for two years after the testing date. After two years, records of test results are destroyed.
- Registration Deadline: Registration forms and fees must be RECEIVED at the Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute at least 10 business days prior to the test session. It is the candidate's responsibility to allow adequate time for the forms to arrive by mail. Language Testing Services reserve the right to close registration prior to the deadline if the session is full. Late registration is accepted on a space-available basis for an additional fee of $35.00. Test session registration is confirmed for Ontario sites by email. Receipts are issued at the testing session.
- Cancellation Policy: Candidates who cancel at least 10 business days prior to the test session will receive a refund, less a $20.00 administration charge. Candidates who cancel less than ten business days before the testing session will not receive a refund, but they may, upon request, transfer their registration and fees to the NEXT scheduled test session. Candidates unable to attend the test session must contact the Language Testing Services within 5 days of the testing session to request a transfer of their registration. All requests to cancel or transfer registration for a test must be emailed to cantest@uOttawa.ca.
- Fees: CanTEST Test Registration fees are subject to change without notice.
- CanTEST Practice Materials: Practice Materials are non-refundable. It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide an accurate and clear mailing address when ordering Practice Materials. Additionally, when Practice Materials are requested to be mailed by courier, it is the candidate's responsibility to follow the instructions of the Purolator office with regards to the delivery or pick-up of the materials.
- The CanTEST is a test of English proficiency; it is not a diagnostic test. For this reason and for test security, exam papers cannot be viewed by test candidates.
- By writing the CanTEST you are giving permission to Language Testing Services to use aggregated scores and demographic information for research purposes.
For more information, please contact:
Language Testing Services
Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute
University of Ottawa
70 Laurier Avenue East, Room 130
Ottawa ON   K1N 6N5